Welcome to the workspace for the Horizon.au Project, which will produce a report focusing on emerging technology and its applications for education (broadly defined) in Australia and New Zealand. This space was created as a place for the members of the Horizon.au Advisory Board to manage the process of selecting the topics for the 2008 Australia/New Zealand Edition of the Horizon Report, to be known informally as the Horizon.au Report. (more...)
Horizon.au Sandbox – where we are currently focused or working
Capturing What We've Found: Writing up the 2008 Horizon Report, Australia/New Zealand Edition
Ranking the Data -- how we reach consensus
The pages listed below reflect the discussion and links contributed by Advisory Board members on each of the topics during August 2008 as the Short List was created and during the subsequent discussion of it. For the most current summaries, see the Short List Each of the 12 Short List topics has a description in 2-3 paragraphs (these are based on our collective discussions and research of the topics), a discussion of the relevance of the technology for teaching, learning, or creative expression (our lens for the report), specific examples, and additional readings for those who wish to learn more about the topic.
Time-to-Adoption: One year or Less
- Virtual Worlds / Immersive Environments
- Cloud-Based Applications
- Social Bookmarking
- Alternatives to Copyright (originally Creative Commons Licensing)
Time-to-Adoption: Two to Three Years
- Alternative Input Devices
- Open Education and Courseware
- Seamless Logon Integration
Time-to-Adoption: Four to Five Years
- Deep Tagging (originally Tagging Within Rich Media)
- Next-Generation Mobile (originally Integrated Ubiquitous Technologies)
- Lifestreams (originally Life Portfolios)
- Flexible Screen Technologies
The Research Questions -- the data at the core of our research
STATUS: Complete. At the July 11, 208 meeting in Melbourne, the Advisory Board responded to all of the Research Questions and reduced them to a list of 12 items which is being researched further for the next round of voting.
- Research Question One: Horizonau2008:RQ1 Ranking -- Full Data
- Research Question 2a (next twelve months): Horizonau2008:RQ2a Ranking -- Full Data
- Research Question 2b (two to three years): Horizonau2008:RQ2b Ranking -- Full Data
- Research Question 2c (four to five years): Horizonau2008:RQ2c Ranking -- Full Data
- [Research Question Three: Horizonau2008:RQ3 Ranking -- Full Data
- Research Question Four: Horizonau2008:RQ4 Ranking -- Full Data
Press Clippings – technology news and reports that are informing our work
STATUS: Complete. These categories of press clippings have been reviewed by the Advisory Board, and key articles have been tagged and moved to the top of each section. Please continue to add new ones or comments!
These categories represent a carefully selected collection of press clippings, articles, reports, essays, links, and RSS feeds have been reviewed by the Advisory Board, with key articles that are tagged and moved to the top of each section. Please continue to add new ones!
- Emerging Technologies
- Challenges and Trends
- Published 'Technologies to Watch' Lists
- Technology in Popular Culture
- Reports and Research
- Miscellanea -- Stories, Examples, Food for Thought
- Essays and Interviews on the Future
Active Resources -- new information that may be germane to our decisions
STATUS: The Advisory Board is continually reviewing the reports and articles in this section, adding new ones, and adding commentary.
The 2008 Horizon.au Project Advisory Board – guiding our discovery and selection process